Sunday 20 March 2011

Exercising Regularly Could Mean Less of the Common Cold

by EARTHA





One thing that I have noticed since I've made exercise a habit in my life, is that I don't get as many colds as I used to. I came across an article which explains why this may be the case. Exercising regularly (5 or more times per week) can boost our immune systems. The reason being that exercising stimulates the movement of immune cells throughout the body about three hours after a workout.
The more we exercise, the more our immune cells will be ready for invading pathogens. Since regular exercise can boost the immune system, does that mean we should exercise when we do catch a cold? I would say no. When you're already sick, you will do best to get over a cold by letting your body rest.
If you do exercise on a regular basis and still catch a cold, chances are it won't be as severe.
...researchers found the length of time cold symptoms lasted was shorter by 43 percent to 46 percent in people who worked out five or more times a week, compared with people who worked out once a week or never.
What About the Gym?
I would suggest to do your best to avoid the germs at the gym. When I belonged to a gym, I caught many colds and I'm betting it was due to touching the various gym equipment. Handles on weights and fitness machines will hold the most germs. Hopefully your gym provides antibacterial wipes or spray to wipe down the equipment with.
Read my gym germs article below for more tips:


Avoiding Gym Germs – There's Some Nasty Stuff at the Gym!

You don't need to do extreme workouts to help avoid the common cold. A 30-minute brisk walk on a regular basis can help.

No comments:

Post a Comment